- Statement of Intent (SOI) with Kwakiutl Laich-Kwil-Tach Nations Treaty Society (KLNTS), which included the Tlowitsis
- Readiness Documents Submitted to BC Treaty Commission
- Agreement in Principle negotiations as part of the KLNTS
- Framework Agreement signed between Tlowitsis, Canada and BC
- This agreement sets out topics and processes for Agreement in Principle negotiations
- Memorandum of Understanding between Tlowitsis, Canada and BC to move to Stage 5 of negotiations
Where are treaty negotiations at in 2020?
There are six stages in the treaty process:
- Stage 1: Statement of Intent to Negotiate
- Stage 2: Readiness To Negotiate
- Stage 3: Negotiation Of a Framework Agreement
- Stage 4: Negotiation Of An Agreement In Principle and Memorandum of Understanding
- Stage 5: Negotiation to Finalize a Treaty
- Stage 6: Implementation of the Treaty
What happens next?
We’ll be discussing the following issues in Stage 5:
- Lands, including stewardship and shared decision making on resource management.
- Government powers and lawmaking authorities.
- Child welfare, restorative justice, and cultural heritage protection.
- Fisheries, aquaculture, commercial and food fisheries.
- New funding relationship with Canada.
- Resource revenue sharing.
- Taxation including “Indian” tax exemption.
- Other matters the Parties agree upon.
We are also negotiating a Fisheries Reconciliation Agreement outside of the treaty with five of our Kwakwaka’wakw neighbours to address aquaculture, community and commercial fisheries interests.